You must have heard the phrase – ‘Cleanliness is next to godliness.’ But have you ever used this mantra in your life? A shabby household provides a breeding ground for several pests, specifically cockroaches that thrive in hot and humid climates. These nocturnal creatures stay in their hiding spots and create menace all over the house. You must be wondering how you can make your house cockroach-free. Well, it’s not that difficult. There are pest control services to reduce the cockroach outbreak. But instead of searching ‘pest control near me,’ how about you incorporate some simple practices at home to fight this vermin.
Areas susceptible to cockroach infestation
A cockroach-infested house is the result of the following causes:
- Dirty dishes in the sink
- Leftovers or pet food scattered on the floor
- Excess moisture
- Empty cans with open lids
- Holes in pipes
Here are a few tips for cockroach prevention
- Deep cleaning –It’s time to go to KonMari (the Japanese art of de-cluttering)! You have to sanitize your house thoroughly:
- Wash your clothes
- Mope the floor
- Wash the kitchen appliances regularly
- Remove grease from gas stove
- Use disinfectants
- Wipe the dirt underneath carpets
- Store food in air-tight containers
- Home remedies – You will be surprised to know that there are many cost-effective solutions at home that you can use for cockroach prevention:
- Baking soda and sugar
- Essential oils
- Petroleum jelly
- Onion and garlic
- Bay leaves
- Duct tape – This sticky trap is a convenient way to eliminate roaches from home. You can spread these duct tapes on the infested areas and put a piece of food as bait.
- Fabric softeners – Using a liquid solution like fabric softeners when sprayed into wall cracks can suffocate cockroaches and keep them away from your house.
- Boric acid – A powerful formula to kill cockroaches is boric acid. You can sprinkle boric acid mixed with baking powder in the areas where cockroaches usually hide. Boric is poisonous, so make sure you wear gloves while using it and keep it away from children and pets.
- Cockroach cookies –Cockroacheslove irresistible cookies made out of a raw cookie dough mixed with boric acid.
- Ammonia with water – The unpleasant smell of ammonia mixed with water can help repel cockroaches. Pour this solution on the bathroom floor and dump down the drains for proper cleaning.
- Seal cracks –Cracks, and crevices are the main entry points for cockroaches. You must seal these openings using caulk or fill the gaps with steel wool and foam.
- Eliminate all bathroom leakages –You must fix leaky faucets, and repair broken pipes for cockroach prevention.
- Repellent sprays and gels –If the problem of the roaches still persists, even after trying all possible home-based solutions, buy appropriate sprays and gels from the market. Repellant sprays can instantly kill cockroaches. Gels are also available, online, or at your nearby convenience stores to help with this issue. Spray or spread the gel in every nook and corner of the house, be it kitchen countertops, doors, cabinets for cockroach prevention.
The methods mentioned above are proven solutions for cockroach prevention. However, the main principle is to keep your house as clean as possible. When the cockroach problem goes out of hands, immediately call professional pest exterminators to wipe out these pesky roaches.
What smells keep roaches away?
Cockroaches cannot stand the citrus smell of lemons, the pungent smell of ammonia and vinegar and, the deadly smell of garlic.
Why do I have roaches in my clean house?
Even if you clean your house, roaches can enter through various openings like pipe holes, cracks, etc.
What kills roaches and their eggs?
Cockroach eggs can be killed using bait gel, bleach solution & boric acid.
What Attracts Cockroaches to your house?
The basic rule in every household should be cleanliness. Cockroaches are attracted to untidy houses. Especially areas like rotten wooden doors, leaky sinks, and cracks in the walls can be big attractions for the roaches.
How to get rid of roaches without an exterminator?
There are many home remedies that you can use like keeping your house clean all the time, washing your clothes regularly, and using boric acid, traps, or duct tape.